Thursday

In Andalucia we had the driest winter for 70 years last year. I would have to look back through my posts to remember the last time it rained.
It tried to rain yesterday.
I don't think we can count 90 seconds of big fat drops of rain splodging onto the terrace a day of rain so we are back where we started, I cannot remember when it last rained properly.

The lack of rain has been a problem, a very big problem. The countryside is tinder dry. On Thursday night (30th August) a fire started and spread. It spread across a swathe of countryside from Fuengirola to Marbella with people evacuated and some losing their homes. The glow of the fire could be seen 100kms away. On the Friday afternoon I watched as a formation of planes flew over and dumped thousands of litres of water onto part of the fire in the urbanisation in which I now live. Officially the last of the fire was put out on Tuesday evening and it has been classed as the worst fire in this area for 20 years.

I will be more than happy for rain this winter.

http://www.diariosur.es/noticias/201208/31/Media/calcinado--1002x400.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever the weather where you are - thank you for adding your thoughts!